Web Part Error: A Web Part or Web Form Control on this Page cannot be displayed or imported. The type SFS.Ashok.NivoSlider.WebParts.Nivo.Nivo, SFS.Ashok.NivoSlider, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=66b02454146481dc could not be found or it is not registered as safe. Correlation ID: 483592a0-e9e1-a098-ffc9-3b82abb801c5.
Archaeological excavation and restoration work finally came to an end on the Mohammad Bin Salem Mosque.
Excavations revealed the presence of an earlier mosque, dating back to the second half of the 18th century (date as indicated by preliminary analysis of the finds) Historical records indicate a mosque was at this place since the 16th century, but earlier version/s could not be found owing to the confined test trenches. With respect to the later 18th century mosque, excavations revealed that it was destroyed during the British occupation in 1819/20 and that a new mosque was built on its foundations. It has undergone several renovations and expansion phases up to the present day. During the renovation work, modern additions were removed from the inside and outside and the original architecture, built from coral stone and beach rock, restored and provided with an outer layer of traditional plaster in layer technique. The most important addition, based on historical aerial photographs, has been the reconstruction of the original area for the call of prayer (minara). Situated on the mosque's entrance platform, it originally consisted of a raised platform and stairs secured by a mangrove poles' railing. The attached photographs give a visual impression of this large mosque (28.5m x 36.5m) and its 60 interior columns after its successful restoration.